Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Phone Numbers?!?! Which One To Use On My Resume?

A client (K.A.A.) asked a great question for their resume today: The phone number on my resume is my home number. Is that better than my cell phone number?  If you are like many of us in this modern era, you likely have several telephone numbers.  A home phone (maybe 2 lines), a personal cell, a business cell, the office, the telephone in your personal jet.  (Okay, you probably don't have a phone in your jet much less your own personal jet!) Which one or how many of them do you use on your resume?

Let me start by saying that the majority of employers are not going to hunt you down.  There are exceptions  - like you are the greatest prospective employee EVER and they have to meet you today! But that doesn't really happen in real life!  So back to reality, don't expect a hiring manager to call all 20 of the telephone numbers you have listed on your resume.  Don't make it hard - make it easy for them to reach you - list one phone number and one email address.  Okay, you concur and you're just going to use one phone number on your resume.  So which one?


I personally prefer the cell phone for a couple of reasons.  First, if you share your home phone with roommates or family – the call could be answered unprofessionally or the person answering the phone may not give you the message.  I just love those cutesy-wootsey outgoing answering machine messages where your two year old is singing the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" for five long, agonizing minutes.  I just don't think you want that to be the second impression you make on a prospective employer calling you to set up an interview!

With your cell phone you set up your professional voicemail with your "radio voice" and callers can leave you private messages, which you can return promptly and they are able to reach you at anytime.  My advice to active job-seekers is to not answer a call from an unknown number (it could be a hiring manager) if you are in the middle of doing something in which you won’t be able to maintain your professionalism and pay attention.  "Hey, I'm changing a diaper, may I call you back," does not solicit a great start!  It's funny, but not professional.

And please?  The ringback tones, you know the ones that start with a message like, "Please enjoy the music while we connect you to your party" and Brittney Spears' "I'm in Love with a Criminal" starts playing?  Really.  Is that professional?

Ramsey Penegar is an executive career strategist and resume consultant, certified as a professional resume writer by the Professional Association of Resume Writers. She has developed over 1,000 resumes for executives all over the United States and for international clients as well. With more than 15 years experience in marketing and sales, she has the skills to build effective job search marketing campaigns and attention-getting resumes for a wide-variety of industries and personal career situations.  Contact Ramsey today to discuss your career strategy and resume needs!

30 comments:

  1. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!Soba Pobega

    ReplyDelete
  2. just lately located numerous valuable details as part of your site specifically your blog web page. On the list of lots of comments on your own content articles. Cheers intended for giving.transferfactorhealth.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.Li-ion battery suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.Web Site Architecture mollify.biz

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your work...It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work! Thanks for the writeup.garage floor coatings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to appreciate it with the work you cash in on in writing this information. CPR Classes In Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ones unique views for this topic are generally rejuvenating along with exciting. selling videos online

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly the reason why perhaps not really take a few of the burden from yourself through enabling your loved ones members that will help you in your own daily work. Here are a few ideas that you could put in to action to begin obtaining your own household included.Vintage Rugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. bus rental Queens

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb post. I recently ran into your website and wanted to state that We have truly cherished studying your website threads. Every tactics I'll be checking to your feed so i we imagine you posting once again soon.online fietsenwinkel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for such a great article here. I was searching for something like this for quite a long time and at last I’ve found it on your blog. It was definitely interesting for me to I read about web applications and their market situation nowadays. thanks one more time and keep posting such nice ones in the nearest future too.emergency electrician perth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anything can be as few rank of scout for laudable along formation in sect to Swiftly i am upright rabid about the veritable incredible salubrious pose it’s cook-frank along deems to my hold work. Reward that in rank to contain a pretty accept.facelift atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was bit funny conversation. I could get an interesting topic to read through this article. Thanks for the share about the scrambled eggs.courtlofts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. ublish is very exciting and high top quality of your material is the key to entice the customers to go to see the web page, that is what this website is offering.car accident in boca raton today

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information.Alternative Clothing

    ReplyDelete
  16. The explicit vernacular alms orb professes of increasing spree insecurity beside the minion shaft of deceives, introduce how that leverage encourage your lifelike.kurzy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once in Los Angeles he studied beneath the fabulous Stella Adler plus mood mime Jeff Corey. Hellos initial acting vacancy was active beside Steven Spielberg as the Pizza Human in E.T. Stretch in LA he continued to thing on TV moreover Movie. Today, he houses in Roseland Recent Jersey, acting besides filmmaking in the tri-commonwealth locale.car accident lawyer in boca raton

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are so many different prospects when it comes to this subject. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this particular aspect and making it easier for us.Plantation knee injury attorney

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I bought the scrabble games at a thrift store. It is hit or miss whether they have them, so I always buy them when they do. Good luck!Brain vitamins supplements

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hellos craze for acting started in lofty college, during by happen he walked by the tragedy group also saw the undergraduates acting love poultrys.Tree Trimming Nassau County

    ReplyDelete
  21. I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.Resin Bound Driveways

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you.on premise contract software

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to declare that will that is a good web page design. The consumer practical knowledge could be enhanced a tad, as an example any time fresh customers are joining. Nevertheless besides that it is great.rats

    ReplyDelete
  24. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!Retro clothes

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences.money spell

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting.Hartford airport car service ct

    ReplyDelete
  27. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog.space reservation software

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now with a base system supporting my activities I can go out to market.custom t shirts toronto

    ReplyDelete
  29. Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written.best book cover

    ReplyDelete
  30. This can be well-articulated, sharpened, and also aim. Precisely what important lessons have you found out that an individual applied to this post. Looking forward to go through your experience. Where have you came your own bottom line?Limo Service Atlanta Airport

    ReplyDelete