- Do not use a cute vanity email address. DancingDiva45@aol.com is NOT a professional email address! Use your name, if you are Joe Smith use JSmith@yahoo.com or JoeS@gmail.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Avoid using numbers if you can too. If you need to include numbers for a unique email address use your zip code, area code, or street address numbers - don't use your age, your date of birth, or your graduation year.
- Do not include high school graduation information on your
- Don't age yourself by including dates of graduation if you graduated more than 5 years ago. For more information on age/wage discrimination and how to improve your chances of landing an interview, check out my article on the age subject by clicking HERE.
- Do not list more than 10 to 12 years of professional experience. Listing more than is
required for the job at hand will put an “age” on you, which can open you up to
age discrimination and being labeled as overqualified. Both of which can eliminate you from the
candidate pool rather quickly. If you are submitting your resume for C-level executive positions, I recommend listing about 15 years of professional history. To read my short article with more information on this, please click HERE.
- Do not include a photo of yourself. Unless you are a news HERE.
There will be more to come, so stay tuned!
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
By Ramsey Penegar, Executive Career Strategist and Resume Consultant
Ramsey Penegar is an executive career strategist and resume consultant, certified as a professional resume writer by the Professional Association of Resume Writers. She has developed more than 850 resumes for executives all over the United States and for international clients as well. With more than 15 years experience in marketing and sales, she has the skills to build effective job search marketing campaigns and attention-getting resumes for a wide-variety of industries and personal career situations. Contact Ramsey today to discuss your career strategy and resume needs!
Posted by Ramsey Penegar at 2:03 PM